6th Grade Reader's Workshop

A place for SMS 6th grade students to collaborate about reading!

Connecting: Text-to-Self,Text-to-Text,Text-to-World

October27

Prompt #2:

Connecting to a book can really keep us reading. Whether you connect to a character, a setting, or a situation in a book, connections are a great way to motivate us to continue reading a book. What have you connected to in books you have read? Be specific!

Besides personally connecting to a book readers often make connections between 2 or more texts. This is called text-to-text connecting. Readers can also connect what is happeining in their book to something they have seen in the real world, also known as text-to-world connections. Can you think of any? Give us details!

Non-fiction readers—you make connections, too! Tell us about them!

Would you like more information about connections? See the new Page posted titled Making Connections!

by posted under Uncategorized | 51 Comments »    
51 Comments to

“Connecting: Text-to-Self,Text-to-Text,Text-to-World”

1. October 29th, 2012 at 11:10 am      Reply hudavis Says:

I can make a connecthon with Stanly in Holes. He made a poor desition and regrted it. I always make a poor desition. Then he gets sent to Camp Green Lake. I would get stuff taken away.

• October 29th, 2012 at 2:56 pm      Reply brjoly Says:

hudavis,
      Have you seen the movie? That is what helped me picture that book. But I can make connections to from when I lost stuff. Just think if Stanly wouldn’t have broken the curse.

• October 31st, 2012 at 6:34 am      Reply brmuench Says:

Brjoly,

I agree, the movie is very specific of what happens. I like the part where they drive the water truck into that hole, and he ends up getting chased.

• October 29th, 2012 at 4:58 pm      Reply kanoll Says:

Hudavis,
      I have read Holes and I loved it, but actually Stanley was mistaken, he didn’t actually do what he did. The judge just thought he did. What made you want to read the book Holes? Who was your favorite character?

• October 29th, 2012 at 5:32 pm      Reply jhischke Says:

Well stated, Kanoll. I was planning on posting something similar. I’m glad I scrolled down and saw your post!

• October 31st, 2012 at 6:36 am      Reply brmuench Says:

Kanoll,
        in the movie it shows stanley running out of the building with cleats, because it showed him running down the sidewalk with them. I’ve never read the book. What is your opinion, do you like the movie or the book better?

• November 2nd, 2012 at 12:02 pm      Reply ketrost Says:

That’s the same with me, if i dosomething bad I get yelled at or I get grounded.

2. October 29th, 2012 at 11:15 am      Reply isschluenz Says:

I am alway making conections when i read.I always catch my self reading and then making a conection and then thinking about that time that , that conection (event) has happend.and when i do that its most likely for me to be reading Dear Dumd Diary. everybody should read the book if they want a god laught and have good and bad memories to fill up your mind(mostly good memories).

• October 29th, 2012 at 3:57 pm      Reply kakaufman Says:

I like the book dear dumb diary to it is a great book i can relate with nikki and brandon but i think it is a great book

• October 29th, 2012 at 5:33 pm      Reply jhischke Says:

Give some examples, Kakaufman about how you can relate to Nikki or Brandon.

• November 2nd, 2012 at 2:14 pm      Reply kakaufman Says:

I can relate to nikki because she is kind like me and she has to share a locker right next to a mean girl and i was close to a mean girl at my old school. I can relate to brandon because he want a party but he can’t have it because a mean girl mackezie cancled it and i wanted a party but my mom cancled it for me.

3. October 29th, 2012 at 2:31 pm      Reply 19nabluma Says:

I can make a connection with a character in my book Vladimir Tod he always thinks what would happen if he didn’t do this or that I always think that same way.

• October 29th, 2012 at 7:06 pm      Reply elwix Says:

nabluma,

I do that too. Usually when it’s something bad I think what could have I done differently. It can also be something in a good way too like wondering what you did so awesomely to get it. :)

4. October 29th, 2012 at 2:37 pm      Reply olwery Says:

I have a connection with Maya in the book Paint the Wind. When Maya is lost and has been away from her family for along time. I hated to be away from my family just like her.

5. October 29th, 2012 at 2:38 pm      Reply maschneider Says:

I can relate to books, sometimes I will have to STOP and think about what Ijust read and how I can relate to that character.

• October 29th, 2012 at 2:49 pm      Reply 19nabluma Says:

maschneider,

I ALWAYS do that I don’t even realize it when I do.

• October 29th, 2012 at 7:29 pm      Reply jhischke Says:

Can you give us any specific connections you’ve made, Maschneider?

• October 30th, 2012 at 12:10 pm      Reply kebain Says:

I do that all the time what books have you connected to? Have you ever made a connection that related to something sad happening in your life?

• November 1st, 2012 at 11:25 am      Reply maschneider Says:

Jhiscke,
        One time I was reading a book about this character who always wanted to cheer people up and I always do that . I don’t rember what the book was called but I do remeber that it was very good!

• November 1st, 2012 at 5:59 pm      Reply brludke Says:

I always do that! I will just say in my head ‘Oh, I’ve done _______ just like this main character did!’ Also, like 19Nabluma said, I don’t even realize I do that.

6. October 29th, 2012 at 2:53 pm      Reply brjoly Says:

I always do. It helps me picture a movie. I even do it when I don’t try to. If I can connect to anything in the book I like the book more.

7. October 29th, 2012 at 4:00 pm      Reply kakaufman Says:

When i read i always stop and read the sentence over if i do not get what it means.

8. October 29th, 2012 at 6:06 pm      Reply rypaulick Says:

Well I can connect with the character from “Dork Diaries” Nikki. She has a little sister and so do I who’s just like hers. Nikki always feels like a loser just like me because I am one. But, I still love the book so much and jhischke, if you haven’t read it I totally recamend it and relate to it.

9. October 29th, 2012 at 6:57 pm      Reply mapatza Says:

I can relate to many of the characters in my books. I don’t relate to them on everything but its small little things that i can relate to.

10. October 30th, 2012 at 10:08 am      Reply jhischke Says:

I just finished a book titled Beswitched by Kate Saunders. This is a book a bit out of my comfort zone, but I chose it because it was on the Battle of the Books list.

Flora Fox is the main character in this story that involves a little magic and some time travel. Flora immediately strikes you as a sassy, stuck-up, spoiled 12 year old. Unfortunately, I made a connection to Flora right away. Just by reading how she talked to her parents and her general sassy attitude I could remember how I used to sometimes act when I was 12,13 and 14 years old. I was so embarrased that I acted just like this nasty little girl.

On a positive note Flora changed throughout the book just as I feel like I have changed throughout my life. Over time Flora became a nice, caring, grateful person and I feel that I have done the same. Connecting with Flora was embarrasing at first, but by the end it turned out to be an ok thing.

11. October 30th, 2012 at 12:07 pm      Reply kebain Says:

I can make a connection with Sarah in A Little Princess. Her dad had left her behind when he went on a trip and she felt alone and like she had no one in the world. I remember when my dad had left me and my sisters to go on a trip, I was with my mom and I felt so sad because I couldn’t go with him and that made me feel like I had no one in the world but my mom and siblings.

• October 31st, 2012 at 1:49 pm      Reply mamolle Says:

I totally agree. The book is so sad how Sara is left alone and she feels alone. I think everyone can connect to something with that book. I definetly reccomend it.

12. October 30th, 2012 at 5:39 pm      Reply tiking Says:

I have a connection with Amy from the book Heartland. I can relate to her becaues she lover horses and loves to help. And that is how I can connect to a book or in my case character.

13. October 31st, 2012 at 6:40 am      Reply brmuench Says:

Tiking,

is the book heartland a book for boys, would you reccomend me reading it?

• November 1st, 2012 at 2:50 pm      Reply tiking Says:

brmuench,
      I would reccomend it to you one if you like horses or animals and kinda like drama. Then if you do like thoses things or kinda then read it. It’s by Lauren Brooke.

14. November 1st, 2012 at 8:12 am      Reply hagardner Says:

I have a connection to Ivy June in the book Faith, Hope, and Ivy June because she loves nature like me, and is always trying to make new friends and have fun. :D

15. November 1st, 2012 at 8:18 am      Reply clvolkman Says:

I connect to Rangers Apprentice: The Burning Bridge, because in the story they try to reach a goal in this case is stopping their enemys army. In my life right now, I am trying to get my black belt.

16. November 1st, 2012 at 2:55 pm      Reply nirosa Says:

I think I connect to Violet because i like to try to build things.

17. November 1st, 2012 at 4:32 pm      Reply brmadison Says:

I can connect to Grover from The TItan’s Curse because he rushed into a spot for a prophecie and gets it, but when his best friend, Percy,wants one too, he feels guilty. Sometimes I do that too, I just can’t help it. I just feel like I’ve got to prove myself. If anyone does or feels like this, please respond.

18. November 1st, 2012 at 6:47 pm      Reply behanseter Says:

I can connect to Greg from Diary of a Wimpy Kid because I think middle school is the worst idea ever and I know what its like to have brother that doesn’t like me.

19. November 1st, 2012 at 7:14 pm      Reply moseitz Says:

I think connecting to a book is a really important.
    I sways think of a movie when I I read. What I learned is that if you can’t connect to a book you shouldn’t read it.

20. November 1st, 2012 at 8:30 pm      Reply dapriebe Says:

I can connect to Brian in the book Hatchet because Brian survives in the widerness and I want to do the same thing he does except not almost dying. When I read I make a movie on whats happening in the book. Even if its really cofusing.

21. November 1st, 2012 at 8:30 pm      Reply dapriebe Says:

I can also connect to Greg in The Diary of a Wimpy series becose in the books Greg has a brother who doesn,t necessarily like him. Ihave a brother whos kind of like that except he is sometimes nice to me

• November 2nd, 2012 at 11:42 am      Reply clvolkman Says:

I can totally agree with you. I loved the diary of a wimpy kid. I can connect to greg a little bit. Not like you

22. November 2nd, 2012 at 8:06 am      Reply makocken Says:

I can relate to The Magic Tree House books because I always go to new places and meet new people.

23. November 2nd, 2012 at 11:43 am      Reply clvolkman Says:

I forgot the period. ^

24. November 2nd, 2012 at 11:54 am      Reply madepner Says:

I can connect with greg to from diary of an wimpy kid becuase he likes to play viedo games like i do sometimes and some times he thinks like me.

25. November 2nd, 2012 at 11:55 am      Reply ketrost Says:

I my book, The Unfortunate Events I can relate to the orphans because Count Olaf slaps Klause and my parents and motsly everyones parents do that too. I also have parents that give me stupid chores like how Count Olaf does with the kids that he adopted. :)

26. November 2nd, 2012 at 12:10 pm      Reply racleven Says:

I can relate to Emma Rose in This totally bites because she likes it when it rains and so do I. Also I can relate to her thoughts.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Welcome to your brand new blog!

This is a sidebar and can be changed by going to Appearance > Widgets in your dashboard.

Categories

October 2012
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Nov »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Shelfari

div id="ShelfariWidget220379">Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog