Nonfiction Text Features

Prompt 1

for the blogging week of 5/10/14 – 5/16/14

In library recently you were asked to check out a nonfiction book. Tell us about what you’ve learned from your nonfiction book and explain what some of the nonfiction text features you found in it and how they helped you better understand the topic.

nonfiction

34 thoughts on “Nonfiction Text Features

1. Dear readers,
    The nonfiction book that I am reading is The Atomic Bomb and the scientists that were building it they were having a tough time just forming the body of the bomb.

Sincerely,
    Nick

• Dear niwalton,
      What were so non-fiction text feature were in the book your reading. I would guess there is a table of contents and an index.
      Happy Reading,
      dykuske

2. Dear bloggers,
    The non-fiction book that i’m reading right now is Responsible pet care for cats By Pam Jameson and it’s about how you need to take care of your pet cat.
    Sincerely,
    MaBuffum 🙂

• Dear mabuffum,
      Would there be any non-fiction text features in your book? Is there? If the book you are reading is just about taking care of pets (cats), is there a Table of Content or Glossary or any typical non-fiction text feature?
      Sincerely,
      ancornelius

• Dear mabuffum,
      I have always wanted a cat so I think it is great how you are choosing a topic about how to take care of your pet cat if you have one. And it would be great if someone could read that and learn more information about how to take care of their cat. Which im sure they will.
      Sincerely,
      farobinson

3. Dear Readers,
    I checked out a poem called The Raven. I found some non-fiction text features in this book. They were things like the bibliography, Table of Contents and Pictures. But it didn’t really have many other things. Though the book is still very interesting.
    Sincerely,
    ancornelius

4. DEar readers,

The nonfiction book I check out was The Pittsburgh Steelers. There were some weird words so I looked them up in the glossary and I used the table of contents to read specific parts.

Happy readings
    Kashufelt

5. Dear readers,
    The non-fiction book I checked out was Rileys believe it or not. There were some weird stuff on there that was gross and cool at the same time. The words they used where really hard to say. I used the pictures and the words under the picture to help me. It’s a good book.

Sincerely,
    chmousseau

• Dear chmosseau,
      That sounds cool pitchers help me too wow what a coincidence.
      Yeh that book has Some pretty wired pitchers in it.
      Jodelorey

6. Dear readers I checked out a nonfiction book called tornados I under stood it better because it had an index and glossary and subheadings
    That told what I was going to be reading.

Sincerely jodelorey

7. Dear Readers,
    I checked out a non-fiction book called Extreme Speed and it had a few words I didn’t know so I looked in the glossary. Turns out the fastest animal is a beetle and if it where our size it could finish the 100 yard dash in less than a half of a second. The Tiger Beetle is so fast it goes blind while running.
    Sincerely Kakemp

8. Dear Readers,
    My non-fiction book is called Deer By Laima Dingwell. There was one word called cud that I didn’t know so I checked the glossary and sure enough it was in there. Some text features it had was a index, a table of contents, and heading and subheadings.
    Happy reading,
    dykuske

9. Dear Reader,
    The nonfiction book that I am reading is Everything Cats by Marty Crisp. It is about cat breeds, catnip, and black cats being bad luck. The text features are title, subheadings, sidebars, glossary, and captions.
    Sincerely,
    Pawilliamson

10. Dear readers,
    My nonfiction book that I am using for evidence is Science v.s. Climate Change by Nick Hunter. I learned that the global sea level has rose 17 centimeters in the last century. Some text features in my book are sidebars, timeline, and vocabulary. The text features helped me because the timeline showed me when the event occurred, the vocabulary words gave me parts of evidence, and sidebars gave me more information about the topic.
    Sincerely,
    Kastreble

11. Dear Readers,
    My nonfiction book that I am using for evidence is Looking at Dolphins and Porpoises by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent. Some things that I learned are dolphins swim in schools or pods, they are 6 to 9 feet long, and they can weigh up to 200 and 400 pounds. A few text features in my nonfiction book that helped me are the vocabulary and the captions. The vocabulary helped me understand the book because they used specific vocabulary. The captions helped me understand the pictures.
    Sincerely,
    hadable 🙂

• Dear HaDable,

Is that book good? Dolphins are one of my favorite animals! I want to learn about them soon!

Sincerely,
      ChBlohm

12. Dear Readers,
    My NF book I got is called The Flag We Love. In the book it talks about if they know who made the flag. It talks about why we love it, and what it stands. Plus in NF books it show table of contents to show where the part is in the book. I learned a lot in NF books.
    Your Friend,
    Kekaquatosha

13. Dear Readers,
    Your Friend,
    Kekaquatosh

14. Dear readers,
    My topic for my essay is women fighting in the Army.
    I just checked out “women in the Military” and it helped me by telling me that other countries allow women to fight in combat and I really didn’t know that for example: Isreal, southern Africa, europen countries and Canada/US.

15. Dear readers,
    I checked out a book called The World Series. I learned that there has been 110 world series. I also learned that not every Major League Baseball team has been in the World Series. Only about half of the teams have went to the World Series. Captions under pictures helped me understand the book better because they explained pictures that I didn’t know about.
    Sincerely,
    Becegielski

16. Dear reader,
    My non-fiction book was on whales, dolphins, and porpoises.
    I learned that there are 66 different species of toothed whales and that whales have been hunted for over 1,000 years.

Some of the non-fiction text features that helped me comprehend my reading were the maps the showed where the whales, dolphins, and porpoises live.

-masamson-

17. Dear readers,

I’m reading Muscles for the topic of trampolines. Some of the features that I found where bolded words so I knew they where important, Headings so I knew what the paragrapgh was going to be about, and illistrations so I knew what it looked like.

18. Dear readers,

The non-fiction book I checked out was about gymnastics. The non-fiction text featuresI found is: bold print, caption ,diagram, glossary, heading, italic print, parentheses, photograph, sidebar, subheading, table of contents, and a title.

Sincerely,
    ChBlohm

19. Dear readers,
    What I learned in my nonfiction is that rover on Mars actually might of found unknown sign of life.
    Sincerely,
    JaVerVoort

• dear javervoort

That sounds really cool and that sounds like a really good book I think I might read that book what is it called and who is the author!!!!!!!!

SINCERELY MCFRANSEN

• Dear javervoort

That sounds like really cool book to read And a really good book what is it called and who is the author!!!????!!!!!????!!!!!??? 🙂

Sincerely mcfransen @ SCHOOL

20. Dear Reader,
    my topic is Should athletes suspected of doping be allowed in the hall of fame. my book is Drugs and Sports.( kind of self explanatory.) but I learned that some people actually have really good reasons for letting them in to the hall of fame. and all the types of drugs that can even be used which most I cant pronounce.
    Sincerely,
    FaRobinson. 🙂

21. Dear Readers’
    my topic is should school start later in the afternoon because teens that get 8.5 hr. of sleep get better scores on test and are also less depress in class.

sincerely
    Navillers

22. Dear Readers,
    My nonfiction book is called Believe It Or Not. I learned about weird and unusual things. One of the things I learned about was that there is a person that can squirt paint out of his eye and that’s how he paints. Some of the nonfiction text features I found was that there was a picture and a fact box to go with it.
    sincerely,
    Malmartin